470 Stephens Hall is the main research and meeting area for the Center. We recently re-configured the room to satisfy the needs of our many users—graduate students, visiting scholars, and visiting student researchers for independent study, and groups who come in small numbers as well as those who gather for Colloquia, courses, and occasional conferences.
Monday through Friday, 9 am – 12 pm
Mondays and Wednesdays, 2 pm – 5 pm
This is when PhD Students and Visiting Scholars use the room for quiet study. People are asked not to engage in conversation either with others in the room or on the phone, and promote an environment where others can also work. Meetings, when they occur, should be behind the curtain and remain in hushed tones. CSTMS Students and Scholars who use the room on a regular basis may get a key from the main office, 543 Stephens Hall.
Social times: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 12 pm – 2 pm
Those affiliated with the Center are welcome to plan reading groups at either the large table, small table, or other small groupings. If some folks want to work and others have a meeting, the curtain can be drawn to separate the studiers from the conversation. Feel free to draw the drape or ask the group to be in one part of the room or another so that both activities can take place simultaneously.
OHST Working Group: Wednesdays, 12 pm – 1 pm
Colloquia: Thursdays, 4 pm – 6 pm
CSTMS endeavors to offer different forums for intellectual exchange: OHST Working Group lunch meetings offer a venue for local and visiting scholars to meet and share their work through presentations and roundtable discussions. On alternate Thursdays, the room is used for our Colloquium series, which are formal talks by invited guests, and are open to the public.
- Sex and the Spotted Hyena - 20 Mar 2014 - 16:00
- Malleability and Machines: Glenn Gould and the Technological Self - 3 Apr 2014 - 16:00
- It Could Be Otherwise - 10 Apr 2014 - 16:00
- Sketches of Another Future: Cybernetics in Britain, 1940-2000 - 17 Apr 2014 - 16:00
- The 2014 Science & Society Undergraduate Research Symposium - 22 Apr 2014 - 18:00
- Bone Flute to Auto-Tune - 24 Apr 2014 - 00:00
- Life on the inside of Country - 1 May 2014 - 16:00