Professor, Department of History
Clinical Professor, Joint Medical Program, Division of Health & Medical Sciences
Palliative Care Chaplain Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
Adjunct Professor in Medical Humanities UC Berkeley-UC San Francisco Joint Medical Program
PMH Research Fellow
Clinical Professor of Medicine UCB- UCSF Joint Medical Program
The Program for the Medical Humanities is uniquely situated on the UC Berkeley campus, a preeminent institution for the humanities, anthropology, social and behavioral sciences. The Program is established within the Center for Science, Technology, Medicine, and Society, with associations with:
- The Doreen B. Townsend Center for the Humanities, UC Berkeley
- The UC Berkeley – UCSF Joint Medical Program
- The Medical Anthropology Program in Critical Studies of Medicine, Science, and the Body, UC Berkeley
- The Department of Anthropology, History, and Social Medicine, UC San Francisco
- The Institute for Health and Aging, UC San Francisco
- The Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley
- Forums for exchange of ideas and practical knowledge among members of the academy and professional health care providers.
We welcome further partnerships with the following purposes in mind:
- Providing opportunities for students and faculty to engage in interdisciplinary efforts to address questions and problems facing medicine in a multicultural society.
- Creating a regional forum for intellectual exchange and interdisciplinary research among scholars in medicine, the humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and law.
- Offering a means of engaging practicing health care professionals in this dialogue.
- Promoting interdisciplinary projects within the community in order to increase public awareness of medicine’s ethical and policy dilemmas, and enhance public health.